Thursday, January 22, 2009

ADMISSION

Okay, I admit it... I stayed up nearly all night in order to watch the inauguration live. My husband teased me endlessly. But come on, we know this, I am a bit of a sap. Sad movies, great music - let's be honest, those old Kleenex commercials - I can easily be moved to tears, and I revel in the corny.

I wanted to watch it. I remember when he threw his hat in the ring, and I made all the jokes about why he would never be able to be elected. I'm glad that I was wrong. The hideous reign of Bush, the financial crisis, the giant Palin mistake, I think these were all contributors to it becoming the right time.

But I've moved away - I've even acquired new citizenship. American political bashing is like a past time when people notice my accent (and don't mistake me for Canadian). Particularly when I was in Ireland, and Bowling for Columbine was in theatres... But still now. And I didn't feel invested in the outcome of this election - only grateful that no matter what, Bush would be gone. Over time, I swayed, I felt "OK, I would probably vote Obama" - but truly, that's because he was the one who made it to the ticket (well, and Palin made me ill)... The only person I would've REALLY followed was Colbert, and he pulled out so quickly (well, he was never really going to be in, was he? But I would've absentee voted for him, that's for sure!)

Anyway, somehow, through the course of things, I found myself excited by the outcome, and hyped to hear the inauguration speech - which pleasantly lived up to all expectations. Seeing so many people had turned out, watching him walk down the road --- well, it was all warm and fuzzy and lovely. I haven't felt so patriotic since Lee Greenwood sang at the first Rockies game following 9-11 (okay, THAT day I was a teary mess!)
I feel poised on the edge of a great hope. I want to believe that there will be transparency and change and a restoration of American ideals...

But I am a political cynic, and still feel afraid to throw my hat in the ring. While the cabinet appointments seem uninspired, the support of Bush's Wall Street Bailout nonsensical, in the end, I do believe there is the potential for some magic to this presidency.

After eight years of the politics of fear, preemptive war and shallow conservatism born of fear of change, it is wonderful to hear this president calling on us as a people to band together, to unite and change.
I want to believe.

No comments: