Friday, July 6, 2012

These school holidays...

Well, last school holidays began literally right after my car accident - as in the next day - so I think it might be no surprise that I just didn't seem to get in any sort of super fun.  Not a bit.  It was disappointing, particularly as one of the plans Justice and I had made was to get into Brisbane a few different mornings and walk around the city, checking out some of the many churches and taking pictures of them and the older cool buildings...  I think that we are going to have to do that next summer break.  Its such a great idea, and over the summer I have no school commitments, so that should make it easy to stick to.

Well, I think the lazy school holiday left me feeling guilty, because these school holidays (2 weeks long) I definitely over compensated!  Justice had two full days of soccer camp (June 25&26), which he loved.  He won recognition for PERSERVERANCE - and it came in the form of his choice of new training gear.  He picked Holland.  I don't think he was thinking of his Oma (my mother) at the time, but he liked when I pointed out that he had picked her team.

On the 27th, Justice did another Queensland Gifted and Talented Association Kid's Challenge Day.  He chose to do the Survivor Challenge.  It was teams of nine to eleven year-olds (and my eight-year-old!) doing hands on maths and puzzle challenges.  One of the coolest things!  They had to leave the room, look at a lego house, and then recreate it by memory, remembering design, colour and dimensions.  they had to build a structure that would protect an egg when dropped.  They had to ... well, I wasn't there, but those were the ones that I understood from the debrief in the car afterwards!



The following week he did five days of sports camp.  Will and I went and watched him do rock-climbing on Friday morning.  He was quick and agile and fearless up there!  We have done this same sports camp three other times, and each time we enrolled with a friend also on his team.  This time we just signed up and he was with all kids he didn't know.  I'm not sure if it's age, or interest or the group he had - but he was so excited about the whole thing this time, and genuinely seemed to have the best time!

No comments: